Results from the kiln

I arrived into college today and headed straight for the kiln eager to see the results of my first firing to 1260° . And what interesting results they are. Depending on the type and gauge of wire and the stitch used, very different effects are achieved. Some wire stayed solid, more burnt out  and some left a  smokiness like a charcoal smudge.

Samples from the kiln

Samples from the kiln

I spent hours laying the samples out, corresponding each sample with my before shoots, examining the stitch work, figuring out what works and what doesn’t; all the while trying to work out how I can pull all this research togther as a final piece.

Here’s a before and after shot. I love the burnout affect

Fabric and wire samples- before and after being fired. Fabric curled due to construction of weave

Fabric and wire samples- before and after being fired. Fabric curled due to construction of weave

Some samples linked with others randomly, see below. I had hours of fun, moving them round…..like a big jigsaw. Mending all these fragments back together. I love how in some the wire has left a mere smoky trace, whilst in others it has scared the surface with a burnt fracture

Geometric play with fabric, and sticth

Geometric play with fabric, and sticth

Other results included my wire and porcelain pots…… heres what they looked like pre-firing….

Fabric and wire pots before being fired

Fabric and wire pots before being fired

….and after.  Again traces of stitches creep to surface, some breaking through the porcelain whilst others are transformed into a  smudge.

Fired fabric and wire pots

Fired fabric and wire pots

The stitch details on some of the pots called for closer examination. I do love this effect; the stark contrast between the white porcelain and the creepy stitches. With my next round of pots, I need to get the porcelain looking neater. I seem to be slowly getting there….at least these pots are in one piece compared to last weeks

Fired stitched pot

Fired stitched pot

Below is some of the detail of the stitching. It reminds me of a snow scence where blades of  tall grass break through the cover of show.

Also the little  poercelain blobs on the strands of wire are mesmerizing….I didn’t mean for that to happen;I think thats what you call a happy accident. Lets hope for some more of those with the next round.

Details of stitched porcelain

Details of stitched porcelain

 

Advertisements

One comment

  1. These are great, I love the effects you have achieved, its something I have been meaning to experiment with but haven’t had time yet. I have some self drying paper clay that I want to make marks on from my weaving. One of these days. Look forward to seeing more of yours.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s